Sunday, October 28, 2012

Respect and Consideration in The Horror Community



One of the Wolf Pack, Lucas Marlone, asked me if I ever thought of walking away from the horror community. I admitted to him that I have considered it on a number of occasions, but I end up stopping myself by thinking that I’m not going to let the shallow self involved fucks that made me consider that option win.
I mean look at the horror community as it is at present. You got convention organizers who think so much of themselves they’ve lost the concept of who they are doing these conventions for. It’s no longer for the horror fans to meet the various people of horror and learn more about the productions. No, now it is an ego trip so that they can invite only their friends and screw the public out of as much money as they can. That became obvious when I talked to John Dugan (Grandpa from Texas Chainsaw Massacre). John, who had the guts to speak out, said that convention organizers had banned him from a number of conventions simply because he asked the fans to request him. Sounds familiar. I’m in the same boat myself and I think it’s total bullshit.
Oh, and how about the scene itself? It’s not about how much blood and sweat you’ve given to horror. It’s what fucking “clubs” you belong to or who you’re brown nosing to get guest appearances on podcast or even articles on websites or horror magazines. Look at me I’m a six time published author, you would think I’d get invited on podcasts once in a while or once in a blue moon my books would be mentioned in regard to the Friday the 13th franchise, but no. I’ve seen Fangoria write article after article on the Friday the 13th comic books, Crystal Lake Memories, and even the fucking documentaries like My Name is Jason. But, The Camp Crystal Lake novels get treated like garbage.
The reason for this is because the horror community has been turned into a cheap brothel full of soulless whores. There is no consideration about respect or consideration anymore. If there was Reyna Young and Michelle Shields wouldn’t have come out of the crap they pulled on me smelling like roses. It wouldn’t be a situation where people I’ve know for seven years and showed nothing but respect and support turn their backs on me in favor of  the shallow assholes and their buddies who have hurt me. And, what about the independent filmmakers who came onto the scene and had such passion and enthusiasm and pluck. I made friends with them and supported them. Now they are all into themselves, post fifty pictures a day, and could care less about helping a friend with a half hour interview or even take two minutes on the phone to wish him well.  It is damned sad and pathetic when people you once highly respected show you they are nothing but scrounging brown nosers looking for the better deal and turning away from those who have honestly cared and supported them. I’ve seem this too much of this the last couple of years.
It’s no wonder in the past year alone I’ve seen a number of friends who have considered walking away from the horror community out of complete and utter disgust of what it has become. One and his family saw how I and my co-host Derek were being abused and lost hope and nearly walked. Another friend of mine, the senior editor of a horror site also walked away because she was tired of people acting like high school idiots. So, there you have it, horror community, you need to clean up your fucking act. Get out of the fucking dumps people and start building a community where respect and consideration mean something….


And when I feel like quitting I listen to this lady and she gives me strength and inspiration...